Re: Looking for advice

Subject: Re: Looking for advice
From: Sigrid Schoepel <saschoep -at- ITIS -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 1998 16:21:34 -0600

>CHRIS AND JOE CUNDIFF <jcundiff -at- BELLSOUTH -dot- NET> wrote:
>Hi. I'm a technical communications major in Georgia. I am just beginning
>my "major " classes. I have to eventually take at least one programming
>language. I was interested on any thoughts to which would be the most
>advantageous to take for technical writing?

I would advise you to look in the newspaper at the computer programmer ads.
They'll give you some idea of what the popular languages are these days.

I would personally recommend taking: Visual Basic, C++, or Java. But,
please look into the job ads and the kinds of tech writing you want to do.
Some languages are more prevalent in certain areas of the country or more
popular for developing certain products.

The advice that Tracey (?) gave about taking a general programming class is
very good, too. A general knowledge of software production is an excellent
skill to have as a new technical writer (or any technical writer for that
matter).

Sigrid Schoepel
saschoep -at- itis -dot- com