Re: Programming Languages for Technical Communication

Subject: Re: Programming Languages for Technical Communication
From: "Wing, Michael J" <mjwing -at- INGR -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 1998 11:57:53 -0600

All;

Here's a simple example of a programmed document. If you have Excel and
Internet Explorer 4.0, you can run this demo. Cut and paste the
following HTML code (between the start cut and end cut markings) in
notepad (or another text editor). Save the file as Test.htm. Then load
test.htm in Internet Explorer and press the Run Button. This should
start Excel and display the Open File box.

Mike

===========Start Cut==========================
<head>
<title>Start Excel Demo</title>
<script language="VBScript">

Dim IsIE4
Dim Xcl

Sub window_onLoad()
dim ver
ver = window.navigator.appVersion
ver = left(ver, 1)
If Ver => 4 then
IsIE4 = True
End If
End Sub

Sub window_onUnload()
On error resume next
Xcl.Quit
Set Xcl = Nothing
End Sub

Sub StartExcel()
Set Xcl = CreateObject("Excel.Application")
Xcl.Visible = true
Xcl.FindFile
end Sub
</script>

</head>

Open File dialog box.</p><input type="button" name="Size" value="Run"
onclick="StartExcel()"></p>

===========Start Cut==========================

Michael Wing (mailto:mjwing -at- ingr -dot- com)
Principal Technical Writer
Intergraph Corporation; Huntsville, Alabama
http://www.ingr.com/iss/products/mapping/
(205) 730-7250

> Michael Wing wrote:
>
> <<BIG snip>>
> I also am a prognosticator that the edges between writing duties and
> programming skills are blurring.
> <<
>

> This seems true to me as well. I can offer two examples in my own
> situation
> where I am the entire tech writing department for my division (well, I
> take
> that back... I was able to bring in a consultant to help on a
> project...
> hurray).

<snip>