FWD: Re: Scenario: You're hired a new writer...

Subject: FWD: Re: Scenario: You're hired a new writer...
From: "Eric J. Ray" <ejray -at- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 1998 07:09:22 -0700

Name withheld upon request. Please reply on list.

Ahhh ... sounds as if someone needed the mighty

JOB DESCRIPTION

before the applicant was hired. Sounds as if the
newcomer (are there other TWs in the group?) has
been thrown to the lions (but not the Detroit
variety where the writer would have a chance).

If the writer was 'given no information of what
is expected,' how does anyone know the writer is
CAPABLE of doing the job ... sounds to me to be a
hiring process foul-up (from job advertisement,
through interview, to offer -- and, on our
writer's side, acceptance of offer).

I suspect, however, that your (you, as in Eric)
correspondent really is looking for suggestions
re: what /standard/ tech writer skills can be
reasonably (??) expected from writers at different
times in their careers.

And that is an impossible-to-answer query.

I HAVE done OLH (a little; certainly no expert here)
I HAVE created indices, but I am NOT an /indexer./
I DO simple graphics, but I am NOT an accomplished
illustrator.
I DO create advertising, marketing, proposal, pr,
sales, and training docs /in addition to/ tech
pubs (and I'm good at it, but then that's me :-])
I CAN write a /documentation plan/ if you will define
what /you/ (the employer/client) consider to be
a /documentation plan/. (One publication, an SOP
for a group?)
I CAN (and do) write manuals ... but does the employer
want BellCORE, Mil-Spec, house rules, or client
specific formatting?
I CAN write a /white paper,/ though I have not done
this. I also can roast a duck, but I have not done
that either. (I can and do read, and have read
instructions, so there's not much I cannot do if
the instructions are adequate.)
I CAN (yawn) update a manual -- based on editors'
input and on my research.

I also can manage a department -- have managed
departments, newspapers, CSR groups, etc. --
and I would NEVER subject the troops to such
a situation.

But then, I've been TWing since '76 and I newspapered
before that, so I can /reasonably/ expected to do
most/all of the listed tasks ... but a novice ?

If the company is unhappy with the new hire, have
an /honest/ chat with the person, define the job
(requirements/expectations) and if the person is
unable to meet the requirements, give the person
a month's bonus pay, reimburse *all* expenses, and
end the relationship. (The company SHOULD be
generous since - IMO - it, not the new hire
[especially a novice] is to blame for the
problems. The company also would do well to
examine its hiring procedures.)