Re: Scenario: You're hired a new writer...

Subject: Re: Scenario: You're hired a new writer...
From: Penny Staples <pstaples -at- AIRWIRE -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 1998 09:19:22 -0600

I would expect a new writer to have:

- solid writing skills (defining what we mean by this is a
topic all it's own!)
- the ability to learn new things quickly
- some basic knowledge (or at least awareness) of layout
- some knowledge of appropriate computer software
(WP, DTP, etc.)
- good verbal communication skills
- a "learning" attitude -- someone who keeps up-to-date with
what's going on in the profession, and is willing to work to
improve skills related to his/her profession.

Management should NOT have to teach basic writing and
organizational skills. The writer should know how to
approach the tasks given, even if it means learning new
tools or new writing styles (the white paper vs. paper
manual vs. on-line manual).

I don't think it's fair to give any writer a list of tasks with
no other info on what's expected. But I would hope and
expect even a relatively inexperienced writer to know enough
to ask questions regarding audience and deadlines (i.e., "Who
is this for, and how will they use it?", "When does this need
to be finished?"). It's a basic survival thing.

It is management's job to make sure the writer understands
the priorities (especially if they change). Both sides --
management and writer -- need to take some responsibility
in this. I also think it's management's responsibility to clarify
workload expectations, e.g., "Here's a list of things that
have to be finished by the end of next month."

Regards to all,

Penny Staples
pstaples -at- airwire -dot- com