Re: FWD: Scenario: You're hired a new writer...

Subject: Re: FWD: Scenario: You're hired a new writer...
From: Richard Mateosian <srm -at- CYBERPASS -dot- NET>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 1998 12:05:18 -0800

>You've hired a new writer (with 1-2 years experience). You've given
>them no information on what is expected of them, but you have given them
>a variety of assignments. What do you expect them to be able to do with
>the following assignments:
>
>Convert documents to online.
>Index a new manual.
>Input edits marked-up by your technical editor.
>Write a documentation plan.
>Write a manual.
>Write a white paper.
>Update a manual.

Depends on their prior experience. I'd expect a writer with 1-2 years
experience to require a lot of direction in preparing a doc plan, writing a
manual from scratch, or producing a professional index.

When it comes to putting docs online, it depends a lot on what you mean. To
produce professional hypertext documents that reflect the contents of
written documents requires training and experience. ...RM

Richard Mateosian <srm -at- cyberpass -dot- net>
Review Editor, IEEE Micro Berkeley, CA

(C) Copyright 1998. All rights reserved.