Re: Usage: 1st Person and Passive Voice

Subject: Re: Usage: 1st Person and Passive Voice
From: Kelly Plamp <kellysue -at- KELLY-SUE -dot- COM>
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 1997 13:00:45 -0500

Steven Gotler pointed out that he hates passive voice. Geoff Lane related he feels there are times, especially in scientific papers, when it is more clear than any other.

I cast my vote with Geoff! I do a wide range of writing and I don't believe there is one correct voice, person, or style for everything. It depends on what you're writing and who's going to read it. All of these elements (among others) add up to an overall tone that is correct for the client, the reader and the writer.

That's why technical writing is an art, not a science!

Best regards,
Kelly Sue Plamp
Computer Management Technologies