Professional-Related Questions (was "How to provide writing samples")

Subject: Professional-Related Questions (was "How to provide writing samples")
From: Kelli Bond <versakel -at- EARTHLINK -dot- NET>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 1998 15:45:21 -0800

Hi, everyone!

I've just finished reading (and responding off-list) to Indira's "How to
provide writing samples" post. The one response was double-edged; I
detected (1) possible confusion between the subject line and the content
of Indira's post and (2) a bit of an "oh-ma-Gawd-I-can't-believe-this-
was-actually-asked" undertone.

For the experienced among us, let's remember that we once were newbies
who had a cazillion questions about the writing/editing job search.
Some of us approached others directly; others found answers in reference
books or listened as others addressed issues similar to ours. It's very
easy for those of us in the "look and learn" group to unintentionally
convey a sense of superiority to those who post questions on, say, a
listserv or who verbalize them. (I have a colleague who could easily
transmit such a message regarding her "look-it-up" approach to
information gathering.)

Also, the veterans among us have a professional obligation to provide
information (as much as we possibly can, of course) to novices regarding
content, technical style, and career development. Such assistance goes a
long way toward ensuring the future of our field beyond the presence of
technology.

Take care,
Kelli Bond
Principal Consultant
KBA/DesignWrite
(versakel -at- earthlink -dot- net)

P.S. Another item for thought: A number of help-desk pros--and
telephone directory assistance operators--would be out of work if
callers were to faithfully consult the "appropriate" written materials!