HTML-based Help Solution?

Subject: HTML-based Help Solution?
From: Jed Clark <jed -at- AUTOSIM -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 1998 08:58:15 -0700

Our documentation department is looking for an HTML-based solution to our
help woes. Our company's software supports the following platforms:
Windows NT 4.0/95
Unix (HPUX and Solaris)
Currently, we develop winhelp in ForeHelp 2.96, then port the RTF, HPJ, CNT,
and graphics files to a Unix system and compile them with HyperHelp 5.1 to
create the same basic help system for Unix. We have not yet implemented
context-sensitive help.
Our development team has decided to develop some software components in Java
and they want to have an HTML-based help system. We're considering HTML Help
(Microsoft), NetHelp (Netscape), and HTML 3.2 (generic, but without all the
navigation and contents features that we'd like to have).

Questions:
Is there an option we're not considering?
Can HTML Help be run on Unix platforms? (This is the solution we like best,
but we're unsure of compatibility issues. Our research has turned up
conflicting results: some documents say that it only runs on Windows,
Microsoft says that any Active X compatible web browser can run it.)
What tool should we use? (We'd like to stick with ForeFront by upgrading to
ForeHTML Pro, but we don't know if this is the best solution.)

If anyone is doing something similar, can you provide us with any advice?

Thanks,
Jed
Jed Clark
AutoSimulations