Scrollable list or keyword search?

Subject: Scrollable list or keyword search?
From: "Nyman, Rikki" <Rikki -dot- Nyman -at- ALLIEDSIGNAL -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 1998 17:24:00 -0700

I am working with a programmer designing a fairly substantial dynamic
HTML web site. A significant part of the site will be populated with
data from an Oracle database. To conduct searches, the programmer wants
to use a text box with a dynamically generated, scrollable list (which
may eventually contain hundreds of listings). I prefer to use a key
word search.

FYI - the site is part of a large corporate intranet. There are no
design mandates. The users are moderately familiar with the intranet,
but not super sophisticated. . . yet. The site's primary purpose is to
allow users access to reliability reports and support requests for more
information; its secondary purpose is to provide links to product
information. The majority of the users will know what they are looking
for.

I am curious about what your preference is and why.

(We will be conducting usability testing, but I want to have a sense of
what other people think now.)

If enough interest is shown I will collect responses and post to the
list.

Thanks for your help again!

Rikki

rikki -dot- nyman -at- alliedsignal -dot- com