Re: Web query

Subject: Re: Web query
From: Nora Merhar <nmerhar -at- CHARLESINDUSTRIES -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 1998 10:43:09 -0600

Damien,

This is a know-thy-audience problem (and therefore, I think,
relevant). I have run in to this problem most often on personal home
pages, where I am informed that I don't have the correct plug-in to
play the music I *should* be hearing (like I really want to listen to
some awful computer rendition of "Wind Beneath my Wings" while I
peruse their home page). I almost never download plug-ins, partly
because I have no idea what they'll do to my system, what with
viruses, bugs and all, and partly because I use a UNIX workstation at
work, and plug-ins don't appear to exist for UNIX!

Still, I forgive the people with personal home pages their
"gee-whiz-look-what-I-can-do" enthusiasm for annoying music. OTOH, a
professional page should be free of the need to use anything but your
browser, UNLESS you put a statement on an entry page that says "You
will need the gee-whiz plug-in to view this page. If you do not have
the gee-whiz plug-in, this is where you can get it, and this is how it
will affect your system once it is installed."

JMHO,

Nora
nmerhar -at- charlesindustries -dot- com