Re: Word97 SR-1 Patch Installed Correctly?

Subject: Re: Word97 SR-1 Patch Installed Correctly?
From: Connie Winch <CEW -at- MACOLA -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 1998 09:52:15 -0500

--Original Message--

Date: Tue, 10 Feb 1998 09:46:08 -0600
From: Dave Koch <Dave_Koch -at- DATACARD -dot- COM>
Subject: Word97 SR-1 Patch Installed Correctly?

<snip

I have Small Business Edition Office 97 bundled on a new Dell PC.
Everyone I communicated with (a couple dozen) about Word 97,
including
about 7 support folks from Dell, said I need the SR-1 patch. So,
last
night I downloaded the SR-1 patch (sr1off97.exe) from MS, saved it
hard disk, double clicked on sr1off97.exe, it started to execute,
and
then a dialog with two horizontal window panes came up.

The top pane listed three items that SR-1 had determined that need
the
patch: EXCEL, OUTLOOK, and Support Files. The bottom pane listed
the
item that SR-1 had determined to NOT need the patch (you guessed
it):
WORD. Is this a common occurrence? I continued on, ran the patch,
and
it told me it was "successful".

Was the patch installed? Is there a way to know if the patch
installed properly and updated the appropriate items in Word 97?
What
was fixed or changed, and how do I know if anything actually
happened
(besides me spending a heck of a lot of time on this)? Was it
operator error on my part? What actually happened?

Any help or direction is greatly appreciated. Thank you all very
much
for your time.

Dave

-----------------------------

Dave,

You may have already checked into these issues, but if not, hopefully
this will help. I have forwarded you offline two Microsoft support
articles:

172475 ("How to Obtain and Install MS Office 97 SR-1")
Q172527 ("How to Obtain Word 97 for Windows Service Release 1")

These articles detail which version of SR-1 you need for which
installation you have and where/how to get the correct SR-1 for the
installation that you have. It may be possible that the SR-1 you got
wasn't the exact one you needed.

If the rest of you want a copy of either of the above articles, send an
e-mail to

mshelp -at- microsoft -dot- com

In the subject line, place the article number (QXXXXXX or XXXXXX), and
leave the message body blank. You will receive a reply with the
article.

Connie E. Winch
Technical Writer
Macola Software