Re: Grammar Guides, Dictionaries, etc. -Reply

Subject: Re: Grammar Guides, Dictionaries, etc. -Reply
From: Bill Sullivan <bsullivan -at- EMAIL -dot- EXIDE -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 1998 15:21:42 -0500

>Since I use Merriam-Webster (no particular reason--it was on sale
when I
bought it), I'd be interested in a little more detail on why you
think
the AHD is better. Thanks.

For one thing, AH3 compares synonyms and provides usage notes. The
latter are a great help with words that are often confused -- insure,
assure, ensure, for example. I think the synonym comparisons are
better than a thesaurus (well, I have a bias against the thesaurus
anyway) because they show you your options and define them all in one
tidy little place. They are also handy to carry to a discussion or
meeting, as often happens.

Bill Sullivan
bsullivan -at- email -dot- exide -dot- com
San Diego, California