Re: Should we skip HTML?

Subject: Re: Should we skip HTML?
From: Sheila Marshall <sheila -at- STK -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 1998 09:22:31 -0500

<BEGINSnip>
If you imagine that your product will be used by a wide range of
people then PDF is certainly not the way to go. The days of PDF have
come and quickly gone. I don't know anyone who has acrobat on their
machines anymore, but everyone has some sort of web browser these days.

If you want to make is as difficult as possible for your users to
get help...then by all means go with PDF.

<ENDsnip>

I beg to differ. PDF hasn't gone away at all. As far as I know all 150
people in my office have PDF Reader and most of our customers do too. The
argument has been debated to death but I'm sticking to my guns about the
usefulness of PDFs -- The docs are completely word-searchable, preserve
copyright and formatting (which can be an issue for customers who wish to
reproduce (at their own expense) our manuals.There are other pluses and
perhaps as many minuses (I'm not a huge fan of Adobe in terms of technical
support and TT/PS font issues) but it works quite well for many people.
HOwever, I do suggest offering both formats--that way, those customers who
can't abide PDf format have another option.

Sheila

Sheila R. Marshall, sheila -at- stk -dot- com
Documentation Lead
Analytical Graphics, Inc.
325 Technology Drive
Malvern, PA 19355