WRITING SAMPLES

Subject: WRITING SAMPLES
From: Sheila Marshall <sheila -at- STK -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 1998 10:30:19 -0500

Hi all!

I couldn't find the paragraph to snip but just read a reply to the question
of writing samples in which the interviewer said that s/he asked questions
about language usage and such. Question: is the interviewer looking for a
person who WRITES or one who knows how to talk about the concepts of
writing? Big difference. I can write solid prose and correct comma splices
and more but in many instances I can't actually sit down and talk about
what I do. It's been a LONG time since I had to diagram sentences -- that
doesn't mean I can't write succinctly or well. It just means I am much
stronger in writing skills than in speaking skills, which is why I became a
technical writer and not a salesperson or politician.

Just a thought

Sheila