Re: Numbering Sections for Flexibility

Subject: Re: Numbering Sections for Flexibility
From: DURL <durl -at- BUFFNET -dot- NET>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 1998 09:24:35 -0500

Excellent point. I wonder if industry standards (or habit?) is
relevant here.
IME, writing procedure manuals, or operation manuals, for plant
operations (manufacuturing, utility operations, other production
processes) is customarily done with numbers. People have a comfort level
with 1, 2, 3, 4. The familiarity makes it easy to find information.
The subheading levels--the 1.1, 1.2 and so on make it easy to find
info, and the the length of the subheading gives a clue to the kind of
info (ex. X.3 is always the procedure section, regardless of topic). The
numbering also gives you a way to number the figures (relevant subsection
number with a hyphenated suffix denoting fig: 1.3.2-1 = chapter 1,
procedure 2, illustration).
I agree, though: beyond four places, or at most five for the
figure extension, it's a mess.
Online only makes sense if people have a computer on their desk.
In a production environment, they probably don't.
Mary

Mary Durlak Erie Documentation Inc.
East Aurora, New York (near Buffalo)
durl -at- buffnet -dot- net