Re: Numbering Sections for Flexibility

Subject: Re: Numbering Sections for Flexibility
From: Lani Hardage <lhardage -at- RMTECH -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 1998 11:02:18 -0800

I had to go to section numbers because my docs are all in HTML, and when
you printed out the whole thing, individual HTML articles were numbered
but there was no way to find an article. The solution was to put section
numbers, rather than page numbers, in the TOC and in the title and first
header of each article. When printed in Netscape, you get the title
printed at the top left of each page, and page numbers at the bottom (1
of 4, etc.).

The trouble with numbering of any kind is that, by definition, you can't
insert stuff without throwing the numbering off! IMHO there is no good
solution to that problem. I have resorted to adding article 5.3b,
acknowledging that it is kludgy. As Alan points out, several levels of
numbers are numbing. I limit it to 3 (2 would be better, but our manual
is large - 500 pages), e.g. article 5.3.1.

Alan Sismey wrote...
my suggestion is to NOT