End User Task Analysis

Subject: End User Task Analysis
From: Anthony Markatos <tonymar -at- HOTMAIL -dot- COM>
Date: Sun, 15 Mar 1998 14:02:54 PST

To all Technical Writers:

Does anyone know of a good "how to" book to help a software technical
writer in performing end user task analysis. I have been using data
flow diagrams and entity relationship diagrams and have found these to
be a great aid (even to the point of resulting in major redesign of the
software). However, these are systems analysis tools - not technical
writing tools.

I have reviewed a lot of technical writing books and have found nothing.
The only thing that Hackos book says is that end user task analysis is
"difficult" (I find all of this very interesting considering the
importance of task analysis).

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Tony Markatos
(tonymar -at- hotmail -dot- com)