Re: odd spelling-checker action

Subject: Re: odd spelling-checker action
From: Beth Friedman <bjf -at- WAVEFRONT -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 1998 11:18:34 -0600

In our previous episode, KLEIN, DAVID said:

> >I'd like to be able to flag certain word pairs that are easy to switch.
> >My head knows the difference between "form" and "from," but my fingers
> >don't.
>
> I know there is a way to do this in Word. A former co-worker
> configured my spellcheck so it would not recognize some common
> spelling errors that are actually real words. When I spellchecked a
> document it stopped at words like "massage" (instead of message) and
> "filed" (instead of field). Does anyone know how to do this?? I
> would love to set this up on my current PC. This friend will be
> visiting at the end of this week and I can ask him about it then.

There's a little-known feature in Word that lets you do this. The way
to do it in Word is to set up an exclusion dictionary. Create a text
document with the same name as the standard dictionary, but the
extension "exc", and put it in the same directory as the standard
dictionary. Any word you put in the exclusion dictionary won't be
seen by the spelling checker as a legitimate spelling. (Note that the
exclusion is case-sensitive, so only the form in the exclusion
dictionary will be excluded.

This won't work for the form/from situation, though, since both of
these are common words -- unless you're willing to rule on every
instance of one of the words.

On the other hand, it worked beautifully for "manger" (common typo for
"manager") and "thee" (common typo for "there") because I seldom want
the flagged word.

I don't know if there's anything comparable in Frame.

Beth Friedman bjf -at- wavefront -dot- com
"If I ran England like they run that kitchen
You'd half expect somebody to usurp it
I am the King now, and I want a sandwich.
I wonder where my brother Richard is." -- John M. Ford