Documentation numbering systems

Subject: Documentation numbering systems
From: Marian Chapman <mkc -at- INFORMATIONVIEW -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 1998 10:05:47 -0500

I need to develop a documentation numbering system from scratch.

Having taken over the documentation (their first tech writer and the first
person to manage the activity) for a small software development company.
They develop highly specialized packages for the telco industry (there are
only 3 products but lots of manuals for each) so I don't have any product
numbering system to build on. The companies I've worked for never had a
need for doc id numbers, so I don't have a lot of experience with them.

Could you possibly send me some examples of numbering schemes that I can
draw some inspiration from?
TIA

Marian Chapman
InformationView Solutions Corp.