Re: Meta tag legalities

Subject: Re: Meta tag legalities
From: Chris Hamilton <chamilton -at- GR -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 1998 11:25:27 -0600

My understanding is that the search enginw could convert it to become ABC.

But in talking to a guy I work with, he brought up a good point: why is it wrong
to use someone's name in a metatag without attribution, but not in, let's say, a
news or commentary article.

If I write a chapter about Microsoft, I have to include a statement that says
Microsoft is a registered trademark of the Microsoft Corporation and I have to put
the circle-R on the first instance. But if I write commentary that Microsoft is
trying to take over the world, or a news article about Bill Gates, Microsoft CEO,
who appeared before Congress, I don't need to attribute or use the circle-R. Why
is that?

Tracy Boyington wrote:

> But would a search engine read this as "ABC" or as "&#65;&#66;&#67;"? If
> the search engines don't recognize it as ABC, it would defeat the
> purpose.
>
> I think if your competitor's name appears in the body text of your site
> (such as a comparison of your products) you'd be OK putting it in the
> meta tags too. Otherwise I'd avoid it.
>
> Tracy
> --
> Tracy Boyington mailto:tracy_boyington -at- okvotech -dot- org
> Oklahoma Dept. of Vocational & Technical Education
> Stillwater, OK, USA
> http://www.okvotech.org/cimc/home.htm

Chris Hamilton
chamilton -at- gr -dot- com