Re: CBT vs. Training - my thoughts

Subject: Re: CBT vs. Training - my thoughts
From: William Meisheid <wgm -at- SAGELINE -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 1998 09:04:11 -0500

>>You note that CBT with a facilitator in a lab is the best
method of
training. Isn't this, in abstract, the same as a stand-up
training session
with opportunities for hands-on training? How is the latter
"the worst way
to learn?"

I have to agree with Bill, that organized (say using a
tutorial style workbook), hands on (you work with the
program environment), facilitator/instructor led training
class is what you are describing. One of the best ways to
come up to speed quickly in an application is to use it in a
cohesive, comprehensive fashion, with guidance along the
way. That is what good hands on training is supposed be
designed to do.

I will agree, however, that going to a lecture and watching
someone do something is often useless. That is a demo, by
whatever name.

William Meisheid "Thoughts still and always in progress"
Certified RoboHELP Training http://www.sageline.com
Sageline Publishing 410.465.1548 Fax: 410.465.1812
WUGNET/Help Authoring Forum - Sysop for: Style/Concepts/Etc
E-mail: 70713 -dot- 2225 -at- compuserve -dot- com or wgm -at- sageline -dot- com