Re: CBT vs. Training - my thoughts

Subject: Re: CBT vs. Training - my thoughts
From: Scott Gray <scotty -at- CM -dot- MATH -dot- UIUC -dot- EDU>
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 1998 11:52:55 -0600

Skills are learned not taught. Does the nurse have the skill after
listening to the teacher descibe how ... no. Certainly these descriptions
are very important. Demonstrations even more important, but actually
doing yourself is the MOST important part of the learning process. What I
am asking is this...HOW SHOULD WE SPLIT OUR PERCENTAGE OF TIME WITH
STUDENTS?

The current model used in training appears to be that 90% of the student -
teacher interaction is spent LECTURING TO STUDENTS. Is this the best
way?

Perhaps a better way to learn to take blood would be to build a model of
an arm that responds wen the student "misses" and have the teacher there
COACHING.

no. I stand by my statement stand up teaching is the worst way to learn a
skill. Not a bad way to learn history from a very good speaker.

Scott

Scott Mills Gray
scotty -at- cm -dot- math -dot- uiuc -dot- edu
http://www.useractive.com

"I hear and I forget, I see and I forget, I do and I forget" -- confused.