Re: Writing Samples

Subject: Re: Writing Samples
From: Mark Baker <mbaker -at- OMNIMARK -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 1998 14:08:10 -0500

Mitchell, Moira E (MED) wrote

>Has anyone run into a problem taking writing samples to an interview?
>What do you do if the company you work for says that you cannot give out
>their documents even if you wrote them?

Several people have replied suggesting ways to get round such restrictions.
Consider, though, the impact on the interviewer of having another company's
proprietary material presented as a writing sample. If you don't respect
your current employers confidentiality, why would I trust you with mine?

By the way, I hate it when writers bring writing samples to an interview. I
look at them to be polite, but frankly it's a point against the candidate. I
already have a writing sample: the resume. The candidate is only in the
interview because they wrote a good resume. And I don't care about the
candidate's writing style. I care if they are willing and able to adapt to
my department's writing style. There are several questions I ask to try to
get at the willingness. The ability can only really be judged in the
probationary period.

---
Mark Baker
Manager, Corporate Communications