Re: Follow-Up to "What Might A Writing Test Be"--Thanks, Everyone!

Subject: Re: Follow-Up to "What Might A Writing Test Be"--Thanks, Everyone!
From: Tracy Boyington <tracy_boyington -at- OKVOTECH -dot- ORG>
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 1998 08:09:38 -0600

> I posted what they did more as *one possible*, not the one and only,
> alternative to the proofreading test Tracy mentioned.

Er... I hate to be nitpicky (well, sometimes I like it, but that's why I
do what I do, right?) but I wasn't the one who originally posted about
the proofreading test. I only commented on why an employer might use it.
I just don't want anybody to think I'm in favor of using a proofreading
test to pick tech writers, because I don't think it's representative of
the *important* things a good tech writer does. Utter nonsense without
spelling, grammatical, and typing errors is still utter nonsense.

When I interviewed with my present employer, I took a short (30 min?)
writing test. The topic was "what are the qualities of a good technical
writer" or something along those lines. Kinda killing two birds with one
stone. While I would never advocate relying solely on a test like this,
or giving it to someone who's been a tech writer for 15 years, it seemed
appropriate for what was close to an entry level job.

Tracy

Oklahoma Dept. of Vocational & Technical Education
Stillwater, OK, USA
http://www.okvotech.org/cimc/home.htm