Re: The life of WinHelp

Subject: Re: The life of WinHelp
From: Bill Burns <BillDB -at- ILE -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 1998 10:44:50 -0700

Mike Huber wrote:

> Switch when the new features are worth the new hassles.
>
> WinHelp works, and will be shipped with upcoming versions of Windows for
> the foreseeable future.
> HTML Help has some worthwhile features, but is a less mature technology.
> As time goes by, WinHelp will look more and more dated, and the newer
> help technologies will be more feature-rich and reliable.

I second Mike's comments. As I understand HTMLHelp, which was supposed to
ship with small, scaled-down versions of MSIE, now requires the full browser
to function. For us, this isn't an option we want to sell to our clients,
and they don't want to buy it.

Can anyone confirm this browser rumor?

Bill Burns
Senior Technical Writer/Technology Consultant
ILE Communications
billdb -at- ile -dot- com