Re: The life of WinHelp

Subject: Re: The life of WinHelp
From: "Huber, Mike" <mrhuber -at- SOFTWARE -dot- ROCKWELL -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 1998 10:49:39 -0600

Switch when the new features are worth the new hassles.

WinHelp works, and will be shipped with upcoming versions of Windows for
the foreseeable future.
HTML Help has some worthwhile features, but is a less mature technology.
As time goes by, WinHelp will look more and more dated, and the newer
help technologies will be more feature-rich and reliable.

I can't tell you when the right time is for your company. Some companies
have made the decision to switch already. The writers in those companies
know their own situation better than I do, so I assume it was the right
decision in those situations. Other companies will probably stick to
WinHelp for several more years. The company where I work does not
consider HTML Help ready for prime time yet. We make industrial
software, so we need very reliable technology. We are using HTML Help
for some internal projects so that we will be ready when the technology
is.