Re: legalese in manuals

Subject: Re: legalese in manuals
From: "Jelinek, Jennifer" <JJelinek -at- PLYMOUTHWATER -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 2 Apr 1998 08:06:05 -0600

Safety rules and precautions should be in the front of the manual, so the
reader is confronted with them before she gets to the instructions. I see no
reason why the rest of it couldn't be in the back. I'm not familiar w/ FCC
notices, but you may want to contact the FCC directly to find out what their
guidelines are. For example, many of the products I write manuals for are
certified by NSF. At the front of the manual, we put a brief statement that
uses the NSF seal and directs the reader to the Performance Data page, which
we place at the back of the manual, for more complete info.

I would suggest trying to find out who established the format for you
manuals to begin with, and why that format was established. If this can't be
done, then maybe try establishing your own template and then presenting it
to both your legal department and your Quality Control department (who
probably deal most closely w/ ISO procedures). I've usually found both to be
quite cooperative when approached with definite ideas and suggestions.

Jennifer Jelinek
Marketing Services Manager
Plymouth Products, Inc. Sheboygan, WI
jjelinek -at- plymouthwater -dot- com