Word 7 for Windows vs Formatting problems

Subject: Word 7 for Windows vs Formatting problems
From: Linda Miller <linda_k_miller -at- HOTMAIL -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 3 Apr 1998 08:52:03 PST

HELP! Our group is very frustrated with Winword 7. We cannot trust the
table of contents or index for our manuals. They change mysteriously!!!!
Specific problems:
1. Our indexes are 2-column and begin on a new page with a 1-column
heading. They are followed by a "back page" which contains the document
signoff information (company name, address, date, etc.). If you update
the index, usually you lose the "new page" setting for the index
section. It becomes continuous. Why, oh why? We thought we had it solved
by reducing the index to its field code and then inserting section
breaks before and after it to really make it distinct. It seemed to work
when we updated the index. However, then we saved the manual. And just
because we really don't trust it anymore, we did a print preview one
more time. And *&@!$(#^#%! -at- *$#)$$ -at- #@## -at- #, now the index was on a "new
page" separate from its heading. JUST BECAUSE WE SAVED!!!
2. One item in a table of contents was off by a page. We updated the
table of contents. It was still off. The page printed 76; the table of
contents said 75. Why oh why???? Hidden text display was OFF. We had to
manually change the TOC.

Some documents are single files; others are master documents with
multiple parts. It doesn't seem to matter as far as TOC/index
reliability.

I know many of you will suggest we go to Framemaker or Interleaf, but
that's really not an option.

Any workarounds would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Linda K. Miller