Questions from a first-time tech writer

Subject: Questions from a first-time tech writer
From: Lisa Comeau <lmcomeau -at- HOTMAIL -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 6 Apr 1998 11:49:04 PDT

First I would like to thank those who have so graciously responded to my
"mass-mailout" request for information, who have put me in touch with
if you have the knowledge and the time.

In my new position, I will be writing documentation for "company
specific" software, as well as manuals and course outlines to be used. I
have never done this on such a large scale, and am looking for tips from
others who are in the same boat.

1)I will be involved with teaching the courses I design, as well as a
"Train the Trainer" program. Any suggestions on how these are different
as far as the manuals are concerned? (Should I write one manual and
adapt a "Trainer's Copy", or should they be significantly different?)

2)At the new job I can get any type of software I want to write these
manuals...what do you reccommend?

4)I saw in a previous discussion thread that the ASQC has specific
guidelines for software manual writing. Does Canada have these also?

5)I am relocating to a new position in Etobicoke, Ontario, Canada. Does
anyone know where the closest STC chapter is?

If anyone can think of anything else that would be helpful for a new
technical writer, I'd appreciate it. I have several URLs and book
titles, but I can always use more if you can think of some to
reccommend.

Thanks!

L.M. Comeau
PC Technical Consultant / IT Instructor