Re: Web vs. web?

Subject: Re: Web vs. web?
From: Susan Kocher <sukoch -at- CATHER -dot- UNX -dot- SAS -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 8 Apr 1998 12:54:34 GMT

In article <352A302F -dot- 9A0BE0E7 -at- brandle -dot- com -dot- au>, Michael Lewis
<lewism -at- BRANDLE -dot- COM -dot- AU> writes:
>The reason we need to distinguish between an intraweb and an intranet is
>the same as the reason we need to distinguish between an idea and the
>book we found it in. Have you noticed that many people use "the Web" and
>"the Internet" (or approximate equivalents) as synonyms? In fact, a web
>(whether intra or World Wide) is an information structure; a net
>(whether intra or Inter) is the infrastructure -- the delivery
>mechanism.

Ahh, is that it? Thanks, Michael. Yes, I regretted sending my post,
because 2 minutes after that I found all kinds of references to
"webs" in our own company intranet! But I puzzled over exactly what
the difference was... I appreciate the clarification.
But the question of how to deal with this difference in technical
documentation still remains. I guess the first thing is to talk all
this over with writers, because there seem to be many of us who are
using the terms "web" and "internet" interchangeably, and I still
haven't seen any references to "intraweb" nor "intranet" even if that's
clearly what's meant.

Our information structure on our "internal net" is called
"The SAS Wide Web". SSW for short. No mention of "intraweb". Oh well.

I guess I had been hoping for a simple solution; now the solution is
clearly not so simple. Not only do we have to think carefully about
whether to capitalize "web" or not, but also which term to use:
web, Web, WWW, Internet, intranet, intraweb. And I think I prefer
"internal web" but that's just me.

Sigh.

Sue

In article <352A302F -dot- 9A0BE0E7 -at- brandle -dot- com -dot- au>, Michael Lewis
<lewism -at- BRANDLE -dot- COM -dot- AU> writes:
The reason we need to distinguish between an intraweb and an intranet is
the same as the reason we need to distinguish between an idea and the
book we found it in. Have you noticed that many people use "the Web" and
"the Internet" (or approximate equivalents) as synonyms? In fact, a web
(whether intra or World Wide) is an information structure; a net
(whether intra or Inter) is the infrastructure -- the deloivery
mechanism. Just as the Internet supports global email, FTP, and heaps of
other stuff as well as the WWW, so an intraweb [you mean intranet?? --Sue]
supports corporate email
and the intraweb. Yes, there are other webs: many corporations are
setting them up -- on their *intranets* -- as a means of in-house online
publishing.

--
Michael Lewis
Brandle Pty Limited, Sydney, Australia