Re: secretary's day

Subject: Re: secretary's day
From: Jane Credland <circe -at- ULTRANET -dot- CA>
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 10:19:19 -0500

At 10:34 AM 4/22/98 -0400, Melissa Alton wrote about getting a card for
secretaries' day:

>Frankly I am highly insulted. I feel like issuing a statement explaining
>that while I appreciate the card and being appreciated, I am not a secretary.
>WHat do you guys think? Should I just forget it or voice my opinion?

I think you need to be very very careful when you talk about this, and not
make assumptions about secretaries. There are secretaries out there with
BA's from prestigious universities and even a few with PhD's ... because
the job market sucks in certain fields and secretaries (especially in the
legal field) get paid damn well. If you ever need a secretary to do any
work for you, and you insult *them* while trying to set the record
straight, you'll find yourself in a bind.

If it's a single person, I suggest you talk to them privately. If it's
from a group, then you have a problem with job identification in that company.

Jane