Re: Accreditation, registration, certification for academic TechC omm programs?

Subject: Re: Accreditation, registration, certification for academic TechC omm programs?
From: "Jelinek, Jennifer" <JJelinek -at- PLYMOUTHWATER -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 1998 14:23:43 -0500

I can speak from my specific experience...

I went to University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire, which had a great tech writing
program. While I was there, one of the students tried to start a Student
Chapter of the STC...and failed. To be honest, one of the great barriers was
the $65 registration fee; most other university organizations were free or
nearly so. Plus, the students in our program were fairly close-knit. We were
in each others classes every semester and frequently worked in groups, so we
felt very comfortable discussing technical communication issues amongst
ourselves. Eau Claire wasn't a metropolis, so we didn't have a thriving tech
writing community to benefit from. Our best tech writing resources worked
for the university, either as professors or in the media/computer center,
and were FREE.

I'm not discounting the benefits of STC membership for students, simply
pointing out that it may not be feasible at all universities because of
location, lack of resources, etc.
Jennifer Jelinek
Marketing Services Manager
Plymouth Products, Inc. Sheboygan, WI