Re: This page blank...

Subject: Re: This page blank...
From: Jill Burgchardt <jburgcha -at- PESTILENCE -dot- ITC -dot- NRCS -dot- USDA -dot- GOV>
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1998 10:52:09 -0600

I have a similar situation. I'm about to release a manual that is currently 22
chapters long. I know that 5 more chapters will be added over the next two
years. The chapters will be inserted between existing chapters.

Due to printing costs (inhouse distribution) we don't want to reprint the 22
chapters that are complete when the new chapters are added. We also don't want
to tack the new chapters on out of sequence with how they'll be used. Chapters
are numbered individually with a chapter number prefix.

So, here's the option we're considering:

Insert a page with a chapter number for future sections. The page, front and
back, would include appropriate headers and footers for the chapter. The body
text on either side of the page would say:

This chapter reserved for future use.

The alternatives are adding chapters out of logical order or using some altered
numbering scheme (such as 16a.1 between 16 and 17). Reprinting following
chapters with new chapter numbers is not an option.

Comments or suggestions?

Jill Burgchardt
jburgcha -at- pestilence -dot- itc -dot- nrcs -dot- usda