Graphics Apps - Adobe vs. Corel

Subject: Graphics Apps - Adobe vs. Corel
From: "Hutchings, Christa" <cwhutchings -at- HOMEWIRELESS -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 4 May 1998 10:15:02 -0400

Hi again, folks - I'm back! Having picked your brains on several issues
last week, now I'd like to throw out a feeler regarding graphics
packages.

As mentioned in earlier posts, I am starting up the tech pubs effort at
a brand new company and have been given (almost) free rein to choose the
tools I want. I've got close to 15 years experience as a tech writer, so
am not totally clueless about this, but I've never before had the
opportunity to pick the tools I want (gee, this is fun!).

I have decided on Framemaker for authoring and now need to purchase a
graphics application. Although we have an illustrator here, he stays
pretty busy doing Marketing stuff and I know I will need to create and
tweak illustrations from time to time. I have used Corel Draw & Corel
PhotoPaint in the past and am fairly familiar with them but am wondering
how they compare to Adobe Illustrator and Adobe PhotoShop, which I have
never used. I am leaning toward Corel simply because I am familiar with
it and our illustrator here uses it, but I would like to hear some
feedback from folks who have used both Corel and Adobe.

All comments are welcome!

Chris Welch-Hutchings
Sr. Technical Writer
Home Wireless Networks, Inc.