Re: Non-technical, Technical Writers

Subject: Re: Non-technical, Technical Writers
From: Max Wyss <prodok -at- PRODOK -dot- CH>
Date: Wed, 6 May 1998 11:31:01 +0200

Andrew,

It seems to be a problem all over the world.

In many cases, "Technical Writer" is just a title, but there is no general
understanding of what has to be expected from a technical writer. Then,
there seems to be such a high demand, that almost everyone and anyone wants
to be a technical writer.

In order to fully understand something, you would have to be on a similar
level of understanding as the developer or engineer. Now, if you have that,
why are you technical writer and not developer or engineer? The pay is much
better anway, so why bother at all with writing. And yeah, find an engineer
who likes to write ... you can be sure, it is a rare breed.

Now, if you do have one of this rare breed at hand, how should that highly
qualified person really compete with cheapo-cheapo wannabees. In a business
environment where anything is based on the cost, you need a very good
client to accept paying for a highly qualified person. IMHO, the technical
writing market is a "you get what you pay" market.

Max Wyss
PRODOK Engineering AG
Technical documentation and translations, Electronic Publishing
CH-8906 Bonstetten, Switzerland

Fax: +41 1 700 20 37
e-mail: mailto:prodok -at- prodok -dot- ch or 100012 -dot- 44 -at- compuserve -dot- com

Bridging the Knowledge Gap