Re: Correct usage "i.e." and "e.g." ?

Subject: Re: Correct usage "i.e." and "e.g." ?
From: debrak -at- FTC1 -dot- AEI -dot- COMKAHN,DEBRA
Date: Wed, 6 May 1998 10:49:57 -0500

I use both abbreviations in academic writing and even in specialty magazine
articles, but NOT in our company user manuals. My reasoning is that these
Latin-based abbreviations do not translate easily into other languages
(German and Japenese are the two most frequently asked for) nor are they
easily understood by non-native speakers of English.
--Deb Kahn
Senior Technical Writer
Advanced Energy Industries, Inc
debrak -at- ftc1 -dot- aei -dot- com
From: Damien Braniff
To: techwr-l -at- listserv -dot- okstate -dot- edu
Date: Wednesday, May 06, 1998 8:55AM

While I use both as shorthand in my own notes (and occasionally
internally), I tend NOT to use them in released docs. Here I always spell
the words out in full (or use similar).

Damien Braniff
Technical Author
PAC International