Re: Non-technical, Technical Writers

Subject: Re: Non-technical, Technical Writers
From: Julie Knoeller <jknoelle -at- CISCO -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 6 May 1998 10:55:55 -0700

As a fairly nontechnical technical writer, I have worked hard to market
myself only for situations I can reasonably handle. Mainly because I care
about doing a good job and not making a fool of myself. If there are others
out there more interested in grabbing the bucks than the integrity of their
work (as I'm sure there always will be), I say "buyer beware." I've never
been denied a job because I was honest about my experience, training, or
level of technical aptitude. It seems like there's probably enough tech
writing jobs at varying levels of technicality out there to accommodate a
wide range of talents. I've always gotten really good reviews and
evaluations of my work both from pubs people and techies and have been
encouraged to stretch my technical knowledge and take on challenges I might
not have initially thoght I could--so I don't think there's a lot of danger
in being pigeon-holed as nontechnical if you're willing to admit what you
do and don't know. A willingness to learn seems to be what many if not most
pubs groups value (if they're smart!). On the other hand, maybe I've just
been lucky...

Just my $0.02

Julie Knoeller
Cisco Systems, Inc.