Re: labeling drawings

Subject: Re: labeling drawings
From: Sarah Carroll <sarahc -at- INDIGO -dot- IE>
Date: Thu, 7 May 1998 12:13:04 +0100

Bill Burns wrote a fine summary on the impact that the
method used for labeling drawings in documents that
are to be localised can have on the localisation process.

He then said:
>I'm sure others could add or expand on what both Miki
>and I have written. (You out there, Sarah Carroll?)

Hallo, I'm here, and ever concious of Eric's posting
guidelines didn't want to walk up to the podium and
say "Bill and Miki are right". Instead, I'll just stand
up on my seat and say: Remember that the translator
is *usually* not a graphic artist - so keep translatable
text out of graphics where possible. If using Translation
Memory technology, it's even more important to keep
the text in the main application used for the document
to ensure it goes into the memory.

Actually, while I have the floor, my own opinion is that
captions/labels which are at the same angle are
much more pleasing to the reader, who is *usually*
not a contortionist.

Best
Sarah
sarahc -at- indigo -dot- ie