Re: TWs as customers (was: Not Being Included)

Subject: Re: TWs as customers (was: Not Being Included)
From: Sara Schertz <SSchertz -at- INTERFACESOFTWARE -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 27 May 1998 08:37:44 -0500

> Hutchings, Christa wrote:
>
> > I agree with Tracy - write Whirlpool and compliment them on their
> > documentation. Also tell them that you noticed that they
> omitted the
> > name of the person(s) who created that excellent
> documentation and you
> > feel that the writers deserve credit, along with everyone
> else listed.
>
> Personally, I wouldn't go quite that far. I don't think it's that
> important that our names appear on what we write -- not in this
> particular case, anyway. But I do think it's important that we, as
> customers, let businesses know that we appreciate good documentation.
>
> > On the other hand, I'm wondering if the docs were produced by
> > contractors. That might explain their omission from the list.
>
> In that case, they should have included credits in their contract --
> it's good advertising! ;-)

I don't think it is important that our names appear on what we write
either, NORMALLY. But in the case discussed here, EVERYONE else involved
in the product -- even the human resources personnel -- was listed.
Leaving out the tech writers in that case seems odd.

If you are going to list ALL the people who contributed to a project, I
can't see any rationale for leaving off the people who wrote the
documentation just because we normally don't get bylines or credits. All
those other people included in the list normally don't get bylines,
either.

Just my thoughts.

Sara Schertz
Interface Software, Inc.
sschertz -at- interfacesoftware -dot- com