email

Subject: email
From: Richard Mateosian <srm -at- CYBERPASS -dot- NET>
Date: Mon, 11 May 1998 08:21:22 -0700

>I think that when audiences become comfortable with a word in general
>(they see and hear about it everywhere), then writers sometimes
>tighten it up by dropping the hyphen (e.g., on-line to online, e-mail
>to email). "On-screen" really doesn't get the press that "online" and
>"email" does, so that's probably why most writers keep the hyphen.
>Again, that's just a theory, but that must be it, otherwise using the
>spelling "email" would be insane. (In-sane?)

My recollection is that the original spelling was email, and it remained
that way for quite some time -- until the term got into widespread use
and editors started sticking in the hyphen. ...RM

Richard Mateosian <srm -at- cyberpass -dot- net>
Review Editor, IEEE Micro Berkeley, CA

© Copyright 1998. All rights reserved.