Re: Interview Questions (deliberately veering from techie vs non- techie...)

Subject: Re: Interview Questions (deliberately veering from techie vs non- techie...)
From: "Wing, Michael J" <mjwing -at- INGR -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 11 May 1998 15:51:50 -0500

At one interview, I was asked if I was a perfectionist. I said, "No". The
interviewer then asked, "why not?". I replied that "A perfectionist in
technical writing is almost as bad as someone who slops over the work. They
waste too much time on the fluff. You reach a point where the results from
further effort do not justify the time being spent. It's at that time that
you should let go of the document and let the Editors and reviewers do their
job." The interviewer said, "Good answer. We're on some tight timelines."

Another interesting question came during my breakfast interview with the
Personnel Director.

Director: "Hold on there boy. Why don't I see any grits or biscuits and
gravy on your plate?"
Me: "I'd prefer English muffins, eggs, and bacon. By the way, what are
grits?"
Director: "Oh-oh, looks like someone didn't read the Southern acclimation
guide from the packet we mailed."

Mike (now part New Englander part 'Bama) Wing

Michael Wing (mailto:mjwing -at- ingr -dot- com)
Principal Technical Writer
Intergraph Corporation; Huntsville, Alabama
http://www.ingr.com/iss/products/mapping/

"Humpty was pushed!"