Re: Online Document Reviews

Subject: Re: Online Document Reviews
From: Bill Swallow <bill_swallow -at- ROCKETMAIL -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 12 May 1998 06:07:30 -0700

> I'll be brief. We've tried many variations on the "online review"
theme.
> None of them has worked--not even a little bit. You can deliver
materials
> for review in electronic format, but you cannot rely on reviewers to
provide
> useful and usable feedback online. I suggest that your department
"push
> back" on this one.

I would like to have heard about what "variations" you have tried and
why they did not work. I review files online about 90% of the time,
and actually prefer this method -- you should see my desk ;)

The real task is getting people used to the act of reviewing online.
We are used to the ol' red pen and highlighter... need to "upgrade" to
callouts, electronic summaries and revision modes.

I don't know what documentation you would like to review online, but
as far as Word files are concerned, I HATE it when I get a paper
markup back, especially when the file is part of an online
deliverable. I PREFER all comments and corrections to be made in
revision mode, this way I don't have to spend my time re-entering the
suggested changes.

===
Bill Swallow
bill_swallow -at- rocketmail -dot- com