Re: Online Document Reviews

Subject: Re: Online Document Reviews
From: "Megan E. McMacken" <megan -dot- mcmacken -at- FANUCROBOTICS -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 12 May 1998 10:15:34 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: Bill Swallow <bill_swallow -at- ROCKETMAIL -dot- COM>
To: TECHWR-L -at- LISTSERV -dot- OKSTATE -dot- EDU <TECHWR-L -at- LISTSERV -dot- OKSTATE -dot- EDU>
Date: Tuesday, May 12, 1998 9:14 AM

>The real task is getting people used to the act of reviewing online.
>We are used to the ol' red pen and highlighter... need to "upgrade" to
>callouts, electronic summaries and revision modes.
>
>I don't know what documentation you would like to review online, but
>as far as Word files are concerned, I HATE it when I get a paper
>markup back, especially when the file is part of an online
>deliverable. I PREFER all comments and corrections to be made in
>revision mode, this way I don't have to spend my time re-entering the
>suggested changes.

This week I'm reviewing and revising a WinHelp project for one of our PC
products. I'll be doing all of my editing online. I will not be tracking
my revisions. I will simply make the changes to the files themselves and
hand the files back to the developer to review them again.

In a few weeks our editor will be reviewing and revising a slew of HTML
files that I have created with MS FrontPage 98 as part of an online help
system. I will be giving her both hard and soft copies of these files.
Again, there will be no way to track revisions, which is why I will prefer
that she mark up the hard copies and let me make the changes to the files.

Perhaps it works well to use Word to mark up soft copies of some documents,
but so far I haven't found an efficient way to make and track revisions to
soft copies of online help. We're still in the process of figuring out what
works best for us. If anyone else has edited HTML files or WinHelp files
online, let me know how you did it!

Megan E. McMacken
megan -dot- mcmacken -at- fanucrobotics -dot- com