Re: Interview Questions (a question)

Subject: Re: Interview Questions (a question)
From: Tracy Boyington <tracy_boyington -at- OKVOTECH -dot- ORG>
Date: Tue, 12 May 1998 13:31:33 -0500

> As evidence, I had one interview at a publishing company where my
> would-be supervisor rotely read questions from a book on the
> interview process that his company published. Such as "where do you
> expect to be in 5- 10 yrs"; "name one problem you encountered in your
> last job and overcame"; and "what subject did you like best in school
> and why". He neither looked up from the list nor strayed from it
> during the interview.

We do a very structured interview called Targeted Selection (tm), which
relies heavily on the "tell me what you have done when X happened"
scenario. It's based on the theory that you're not interested in people
say they *would* do, but what they *have* done. I wonder if this was
similar (although it sounds like he was simply reading _101 Favorite
Interview Questions_).

BTW, one of my worst interview experiences was interviewing for a part
time job while still in college... I asked when they expected to make a
decision and the interviewer said "I don't know. None of the applicants
are really what we want, so we're going to advertise again." Well,
thanks for wasting an irretrievable chunk of *my* life! :-)

Tracy
Oklahoma Dept. of Vocational & Technical Education
Stillwater, OK, USA
http://www.okvotech.org/cimc/home.htm