Problem with TW Salary Surveys

Subject: Problem with TW Salary Surveys
From: Dick Gaskill <dickg -at- AG3D -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 13 May 1998 15:50:41 -0700

I noticed a problem with the salary surveys mentioned on the list today.
The surveys do not list salaries by level of technical writer, but lump
all salaries of writers in a geographical area together, no matter what
level or how much experience they have.

Mean and average salaray data is nice info but not very usable. This is
like puting 17 kinds of fruit together in one basket and giving you the
average price. Does not help much when you want to know the price of
apples. It would be more meaningful to have the numbers published as
salary ranges within a job level in a geographical area as in the
following example: (TW=Tech Writer). It would also be helpful to have
the information listed by number of years experience.

Zip code | TW I | TW II | TW III (Sr.) | Lead
TW | Mgr
Yrs Exp/Sal Range 95 | 1-3 $nK-$nK | etc.

Perhaps those who publish the surveys might consider this when
compiling the 1998 surveys.

Dick

From: K R Wolfe [SMTP:keith -at- MERGE -dot- COM]

<snip>
The STC web site does have a pdf file with the latest survey
available for
download. Here's the addy for anyone interested.
http://www.stc-va.org/Publications/pub_menu.html
The file's name is salary.pdf Thanks for all your replies.
kw