Re: estimating hours/page

Subject: Re: estimating hours/page
From: David Warren <David -dot- Warren -at- NEXTEL -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 22 May 1998 11:31:48 -0400

Howdy!

It varies. In the Software Documentation classes I taught, it ranged
anywhere from 1 page/day for the traditional study/analyze to pick-up-
the-books-at-the-printers process to 2 pages/day documenting working
GUI applications with screen shots and producing final output on laser
printers and copiers.

BTW, for editing figure 50 pages/day for heavy technical info. with
picky highlighting requirements to 75 pages/day for easier
screenshot-laden info.

Don't be surprised if management thinks these times are too
slow...reality irritates them!

Hope It Helps

David T. Warren
Publications Manager, Nextel

Subject: estimating hours/page
Author: "Kistler-Robinson; Judy" <jkistler -at- TRANE -dot- COM> at INTERNET
Date: 5/21/98 5:26 PM

I've heard the industry standard for estimating the number of hours per
page is 2.5 to 4 hours. What does this include? Writing alone?
Interviewing, writing, editing, inserting graphics (making and editing
the screen shots?)

I've tried searching the archives but haven't had any luck so I must be
using the wrong key words. If this topic has been explored ad nauseum
previously, give me a clue where to look or reply offline. Thanks.

Judy Kistler-Robinson
jkistler -at- trane -dot- com
The Trane Company
Product Communications