Re: Online docs in your portfolios

Subject: Re: Online docs in your portfolios
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- AXIONET -dot- COM>
Date: Sat, 23 May 1998 17:59:18 -0400

Sharon Burton wrote:

> This is not a good idea because remember YOU DON'T OWN THE BOOK. It could
> cause problems with copyright, secrecy, etc.

It goes without saying (or should) that, no matter what the form of your
portfolio, no item should be in without the approval of the company for
whom you did the work.

In several cases, I've discussed with clients what parts of a manual I
would put in my portfolio. In some, I've agreed to alter names, to use a
graphics program to remove or change information in entry fields, and to
seek final approval before actually using the pages.

In one case, I also agreed not to include the pages if applying to rival
companies.

All these agreements have been in writing, and naturally I've followed
them faithfully.

But I've been pleasantly surprised how many companies agree to such
conditions - even ones for whom confidentiality is a major issue.

--
Bruce Byfield, Outlaw Communications
Co-ordinator ,Vancouver Technical Communicators' Co-op List