Pros and Cons of including writer's name

Subject: Pros and Cons of including writer's name
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- AXIONET -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 28 May 1998 20:29:52 -0400

pam <pam -at- WORKGROUP -dot- COM> wrote:

>I am interested in finding out how many technical writiers have
>their name included as author of the manual or document that
>they write. Most of the companies I have worked for do not list
>authors' names at all. What are the issues on both sides of this
>question?

One point you didn't mention: if you're a freelancer, having your name
on the manual is immensely good for business.

For one thing, you've got indisputable proof that you did what you
claim. Locally, I know, some employers have become suspicious of
exaggerated claims by job applicants, so some proof is nice.

(And when, as happened with me once, a review of the product praises the
documentation, you then have even more to show clients).

Moreover, if your name is on a manual for a fairly well-known product, a
bit of the product's reputation rubs off on you.

I accept that credit isn't always possible, but I always try for it.

--
Bruce Byfield, Outlaw Communications
Co-ordinator ,Vancouver Technical Communicators' Co-op List