Re: telephone number formats

Subject: Re: telephone number formats
From: Max Wyss <prodok -at- PRODOK -dot- CH>
Date: Wed, 27 May 1998 18:39:53 +0200

Dave,

the period as separator is _very unusual_ in Europe (definitely in German
speaking countries; France could have used periods).

Normal is a space. In Germany, everything is grouped in twos, beginning at
the right of the number, which are separated with narrow spaces. Austria is
about the same as Germany, and Switzerland has, from the right, two groups
of two, then one group of three. The area code is between parentheses,
unless the international writing is used. In Germany and Austria, you may
find that the base number and the extension are separated with a hyphen.

In Ialian brochures I often see the whole subscriber number unformatted in
one string.

It is however correct to write out a number with +country code, as the
international access code can be different from country to country.

Hope, this can help.

Max Wyss
PRODOK Engineering AG
Technical documentation and translations, Electronic Publishing
CH-8906 Bonstetten, Switzerland

Fax: +41 1 700 20 37
e-mail: mailto:prodok -at- prodok -dot- ch or 100012 -dot- 44 -at- compuserve -dot- com

Bridging the Knowledge Gap