Re: Employment Agencies - Technical Communication Specific

Subject: Re: Employment Agencies - Technical Communication Specific
From: Sella Rush <sellar -at- APPTECHSYS -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 27 May 1998 12:31:45 -0700

>I put a "summary of skills" at the top of my resume instead.
>Of course, if you have no real world experience as a TW yet, that option
>might be tricky.

I think the skills summary format is good for newcomers because it gives
them a chance to translate their old skills to the new career. For example,
one of my jobs carried the title "Heath Care Resource Coordinator", which
doesn't tell the hirer much. But in my skills summary, I can claim a year
of software documentation because that was one of the many parts of that
job. Other things people can translate in the skills summary is management
experience, team experience, research, etc. By putting it at the top,
hirers are less likely to miss important experience that gets buried under a
seemingly unrelated job title.

Sella Rush
mailto:sellar -at- apptechsys -dot- com
Applied Technical Systems (ATS)